Posted by : Dave Murphy Sunday, 17 June 2012

It has been a crazy couple of weeks on the trail since returning from my trip to vegas with cam, penny and the indiana boys. I have covered over 250 miles and passed the 500, 600 and 700 mile marks as well as completing 25% of the trail in total.I didint get a chance to shower or charge my phone, but that made for more of a "wilderness experience" given how many stops i had made, and how spoilt i have been with trail magic in the first 450 miles.

I walked with Hotdaddy and Phil for a few days but lost them one morning when they stayed to cook eggs for breakfast in hikertown at mile 518. I had my longest day of 27 miles that day and walked with Jungle Cookie and Totem for most of the day.We crushed out 17 miles before 1pm and had another 10 miles in crazy winds, mostly through a wind farm.

In this 2 weeks my main aim was to catch up to the Whiskey Gang before Kennedy Meadowa, and i had closed the gap to within a day by mile ~560 at Tehachapi. However, after i tried to take an ill fated "shortcut" along a dirt road to make up an extra 15-30 minutes, I ended up walking 2.5 hours in the wrong direction. This made me loose at least 5 hours of walking time and became severly dehydrated after a 17 mile dry stretch truned into approximately 27 miles. I bush bashed some of the way back to the trail through a canyon which ripped my clothes, pack and skin and claimed my trusty tyvek that i had got from the day hiker back near mile 180-190. I got to the next water source before dark and slept in a half toppled over shed. I though about how stupid i was take a shortcut to try and make up minutes and from now on i will go by Virgo's policy about the trail "if you treat her well, she will treat you well back".

The last 5 days or so i walked with Virgo and House in the last sections of destert (hopefully?). I didint make up any more ground on the Whiskey Gang but relished the 4 hour siestas in the crazy sun in the middle of the day, however we still made ~20 miles a day. The siestas prevented certain death.

I am now about to leave kennedy meadows into the high sierra tonight after having a great zero day yesterday. I ate my first patty melt which is: fried butterd sourdough bread, with melted cheese, a meat pattie and grilled red onion topped of by Axel's secret Kennedy Meadows special sauce. I am nervous about going into the mountails with a 32 lb pack weight (including food, bear cannister and an extra layer of clothing) but extremely excited to be hiking arguably the best part of the Pacific Crest Trail.

I will attempt to update my flickr when

Other things from last week: feet are good now but i have new second hand shoes, legs feel strong but body is a bit tired and sore, missing the whiskey gang but enjoing hiking with others and meeting new people, trail magic is still unexpected and overwhelming, VirGo's camera equipment weights 6lbs, i need WHISKEY, house has a ukulele, i saw my first wild bear, a bear cannister makes a great beer cannister when ice is added.

nb: due to slow internets i cannot upload many photos and no videos. A photo and gear video update will have to wait until i meet up with my old flatmate Brina in Tuolemne Meadows a bit furthur north. I am also very excited about seeing Brina.


{ 3 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Ha,what has happened to your calves?! Did you lose them somewhere on the trail? You look like an awesome vagrant/drifter, love the stained and tattered ice breaker. Very cool, have fun in the mountains and be safe.

  2. Still havent got a comptuter... murphys law. have been off work sick.
    Safe travelling through the mountains.
    Lots of love Mum

  3. I'm enjoying your blog and I hope you keep finding internet access. Good Luck.



Copyright © Hike for a Hospital - Modified from Black Rock Shooter Template © Johanes Djogan